1. To divide among several or many; to deal out; to apportion; to allot.
"She did distribute her goods to all them that were nearest of kindred." -- Judith xvi. 24.
2. To dispense; to administer; as, to distribute justice. Shak.
3. To divide or separate, as into classes, orders, kinds, or species; to classify; to assort, as specimens, letters, etc.
4. (Printing) (a) To separate (type which has been used) and return it to the proper boxes in the cases. (b) To spread (ink) evenly, as upon a roller or a table.
5. (Logic) To employ (a term) in its whole extent; to take as universal in one premise.
"A term is said to be distributed when it is taken universal, so as to stand for everything it is capable of being applied to." -- Whately.
Syn. -- To dispense; deal out; apportion; allot; share; assign; divide.